The Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a small desktop program (PC or Mac) which crawls websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps from an SEO perspective.
The Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a small desktop program you can install locally on your PC, Mac or Linux machine which spiders websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps from an SEO perspective. It fetches key onsite elements for SEO, presents them in tabs by type and allows you to filter for common SEO issues, or slice and dice the data how you see fit by exporting into Excel. You can view, analyse and filter the crawl data as it’s gathered and updated continuously in the program’s user interface.
The Screaming Frog SEO Spider allows you to quickly analyse, audit and review a site from an onsite SEO perspective. It’s particulary good for analysing medium to large sites where manually checking every page would be extremely labour intensive (or impossible!) and where you can easily miss a redirect, meta refresh or duplicate page issue.
The spider allows you to export key onsite SEO elements (url, page title, meta description, headings etc) to Excel so it can easily be used as a base to make SEO recommendations from.
The Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool Reports On The Following
A quick summary of some of the data collected –
- Errors – Client & server errors (No responses, 4XX, 5XX)
- Redirects – (3XX, permanent or temporary)
- External Links – All followed links and their subsequent status codes
- URI Issues – Non ASCII characters, underscores, uppercase characters, dynamic uris, long over 115 characters
- Duplicate Pages – Hash value / MD5checksums lookup for pages with duplicate content
- Page Title – Missing, duplicate, over 65 characters, short, pixel width truncation, same as h1, or multiple
- Meta Description – Missing, duplicate, over 156 characters, short, pixel width truncation or multiple
- Meta Keywords – Mainly for reference as it’s only (barely) used by Yahoo.
- H1 – Missing, duplicate, over 70 characters, multiple
- H2 – Missing, duplicate, over 70 characters, multiple
- Meta Robots – Index, noindex, follow, nofollow, noarchive, nosnippet, noodp, noydir etc
- Meta Refresh – Including target page and time delay
- Canonical link element & canonical HTTP headers
- rel=“next” and rel=“prev”
- File Size
- Page Depth Level
- Inlinks – All pages linking to a URI
- Outlinks – All pages a URI links out to
- Anchor Text – All link text. Alt text from images with links
- Follow & Nofollow – At link level (true/false)
- Images – All URIs with the image link & all images from a given page. Images over 100kb, missing alt text, alt text over 100 characters